Sunday, November 18, 2012

The new techniques update

     Well as most of you know I am going on a mission to try out some new techniques. The is an ongoing journey for me, there is so much to learn in the metalsmithing creative process. So many new things to try to learn and master if you are lucky enough. Since the return to my farm I have very limited places to go to take classes so must of my learning is going to have to be self taught using the web, wonderful friends who are willing to pass on info and mostly just trial and error although having an established research library is a plus. That is something I personally think all of us need, I am constantly returning to these books as my thirst for knowledge is great. Although I will say as I become more knowledgeable in metalsmithing I discover that often books leave out information on some topics which I find rather annoying. 
    The technique I have been working with is stamping on metal. Sounds simple enough doesn't it well not quite so simple depending on which approach you take. Me I am a nonconformist I do not follow rules very well, to free spirited I guess. There are a some artists work that I find so inspiring http://hossrogers.com now his work is totally awesome, I don't know if Hoss just randomly knows how to place these fantastic designs of his or if he is structured and disciplined and measures where and when each stamp goes but his work is totally mind blowing and is one of the true inspirational artist to me. After seeing his work I knew I had to learn and try out this technique please go and check out his work, as well as http://www.etsy.com/shop/gallerydarrow Rochelle does stamping as well as etching on her jewelry which is fantastic. Her designs mimic mother nature. Rochelle was kind enough to give advice to me on stamping. I think its great when another artist is welling to part with information and not be scared that someone is going to steal their ideas to me this shows their strength and confidence in their abilities as artists gosh if I worked day and night it would take me a hundred years to even be close to the level of these two artist, their work speaks for itself.


     Any how yesterday  I finished up my first stamping project, with a little bit of success. I did get the stamps on the metal reasonably well. I did learn that I need to maybe mark where I want some of the stamps to go. At the bottom of my earrings I put a pair of horseshoes, well they did not match up very well but thats okay it's a learning experience and next time I will be a bit more careful. They were fun and I love the southwestern feel to them since I am spending more time in the studio I find my designs going more into the southwest area of design well I do live in horse country down here in FL and my farm is located in the rural farming area . I also finally stepped back into the cabbing studio so here are some cabs I created yesterday not bad since I haven't touched  the cabber in three months. Although I do not know what stone the brown one is , it was just a few slabs I had collected from somewhere when I went on my graphic shopping spree a few years ago. Anyone knows please tell me, lol. Oh I still need to add the hooks on the earrings. The other stone is Amazonite  one of my favorite stones. 

No comments: