Sunday, November 7, 2010

A New Week Arrives

 Tomorrow a new week will begin for all of us, hopefully everyone is fine and looking forward to Thanksgiving which is right around the corner. I have big plans for two Thanksgiving Dinners so I will be very busy with all that. I have started looking back on my life this last week and my jewelry and have decided to go in the direction of my heart and go back to doing my own personal style of jewelry and not trying to do jewelry that I don't enjoy making or stuff that is not in my heart. So that's that and so be it. I am going to design something totally new and awesome for my site and I am hoping you will like it, SO this week lets start by making some chasing tools. Now to make these tools you can use old allen wrenchs any old tools you can possibly find at yard sales or flea markets will do you can use old screw drivers nails just about anything , Find an old BASTARD FILE first off mark this file for steel use only never ever use this file on anything else again just for steel stuff.

If you tool steel ( your old tool will now be called this) is now sorta clean you will begin to anneal it.
So take the tool stell put it on a firebrick and heat it up with a torch on the end till it turns cheery red.
Remove heat and let it air cool please be careful and let it totally air cool before you mess with it;.
Now that it has cooled , take your bastard file and start filing the point of your tool flat. Remember to file in only one direction . File until end it nice and flat. This  is the time that you will need to start thinking of a SIMPLE DESIGN you would like to stamp on your silver, Maybe a square or a triangle or something else.
Okay tomorrow we will begin the making of a chasing tool , please comment on what you are thinking of making on your stamp.

No comments: